Resources for Owners

Tips from Other Owners of Dog with Dementia

Be sure and check out the comments sections on all the pages. There are some great suggestions from other readers who have dogs with canine cognitive dysfunction. And if you have a tip, please submit it as a comment.

Articles about Dogs with Dementia

Cricket 2012 in doorway

General Resources for Senior Dogs

DVD

the-gift-of-a-gray-muzzle-active-care-for-senior-dogs-4

The Gift of a Gray Muzzle: Active Care for Senior Dogs–Kathy Sdao and Lori Stevens  This recorded seminar covers the many issues of having an aging dog: health issues, exercise, diet, keeping them eating, enrichment, and many more. The presenters are tops in their fields and a joy to watch.

Book

DN332_b

Dog Food Logic: Making Smart Decisions for Your Dog in an Age of Too Many Choices–Linda Case This book covers nutrition for all ages of dogs and has some of the best information about feeding dogs you will find anywhere.

Articles

Dogs with an AARF Card, Growing Old Gracefully: Old Dogs Should Learn New Tricks–Interview with Dr. Gary Landsberg.

My Dog is Aging–Now What? More Training, of Course–Lori Stevens

How to Care for an Older Dog–Whole Dog Journal

Teach Senior Dogs New Tricks to Stay Healthy--The Bark

See resources on end of life and euthanasia decisions on the “When to Say Goodbye” page.

Closeup of face of black, white, and tan rat terrier with big ears

1. Katherine Selman says:

My 16year old Shitzu female, Kiki, has démentia. She only has basic instincts now. Eat. Drink. Sleep. Pee.
    She stares at walls, has vision and hearing loss. She has no interest in any of us or our other shitzu. She gets lost in the yard, and we have to go get her. She is incontinent and just pees where ever she is. She was always my best friend sitting in my lap or wanting me to hold her. Last year we took her to the beach on a long road trip. She was great. No problems. Just the perfect little elderly dog. She can only be groomed now with sedation, and it’s just too hard on her physically. She cries the entire time I give her a bath. She has pain and pancreatitis. We may be having her put down peacefully soon. We feel our Kiki is gone and not there anymore. Now she is mostly scared and just pacing or staring into space struggling to get her legs to let her lay down. It is breaking our hearts to see her in this state. I feel we may be saying good bye soon. And hopefully we can avoid her having a scary and painful slow death. We have to have mercy on our pets. They don’t show their pain like humans do. They can have pain for years before we even realize. Our little Kiki refuses any type of pills and going to the vet completely stresses her out. So, we may have to say goodbye, but at least she won’t be scared or in pain anymore.

Katherine, I’m so sorry. It’s so awful to see that happen to our dear companions. It sounds like you have a good handle on her quality of life. And you clearly love her so much! Here is wishing you peace with whatever decisions you make.

• Ginni Cioffletti says:

Katherine, I am so sorry you are dealing with this. I am experiencing similar but (not yet severe)) symptoms are just past few weeks. Anxiety, restless, confusion. Definitely at the sundown stage. Better in daytime. However, I know things will not reverse. Vet started her on meds to see if it helps. It’s already disturbing our sleep. Never easy knowing what lies ahead. Just remember that she lives life day to day and doesn’t worry about missing her tomorrows. That has always helped me feel more peaceful.

2. Crystal says:

My dog was diagnosed with dementia a couple months ago. He has several of the symptoms but the most difficult one for our family to cope with is the barking for no reason. He barks if I have to leave the room and he is alone or even if I am in the room but occupied with a chore, he will go on the other side of the room and bark. He will often times go on for over half an hour before he finally stops. I have gotten him different brain games and treat toys, etc. and that gives us some relief for 10 minutes at most and then he seems to lose interest in the toy and will start barking again. It has made it very difficult to do any chores. Any thoughts on what I could do to get him to stop barking? He does not seem frightened and some have suggested to try giving him benedryl which makes him drowsy but I don’t want him to just sleep his life away. I would like it if he would cuddle up with me on the couch the way he used to, but on the rare occasion he does, it only lasts a short time and then he is back to pacing and barking.

Dear Crystal
      The barking is one of the very hardest things to deal with. It’s hard on everyone. Have you talked to your vet about meds? There are medications that can sometimes help with that but don’t have such sedating effects.

I wish I had more suggestions, but I don’t. I hope he does settle down on his own or that perhaps your vet can help. I know how hard it can be.

Hugs,
      Eileen

3. Linda O’Donnell says:

Thank you so much for the information you provided. My husband and I have 3 miniature pinchers that we rescued and are our children. Our 16 year old Carmine is doing great but Delilah our 14 year old had gone blind and she was deaf when we got her and Phoebe is 10 and doing great. I learned and researched a lot once Delilah 4 months ago was diagnosed with Dementia. The last month I was getting 1 to hours of sleep and needless to say so was the others in the house hold with exception to my husband who moved to one of the guest rooms. My health was deteriating and I am a cancer survivor for 3 years. 5 pm to 5 am she was barking excessively could not get comfortable even when I would hold her the barking would stop but she was restless. 2 am yesterday morning since I was up I found your article and it let me know it was time I had done everything I could. I had my husband read the article when he woke up and we both agreed it was time. I called our vet and he knew we were making the right decision because he knows how well we care for our dogs. She went peacefully in my arms wrapped in her blanket and I left her on the table wrapped in her blanket peacefully. So thank you . We all got 10 hours of sleep last night and our other pups seem to know why she is not here. Especially Phoebe who was always trying to comfort her was stressed out.

I can’t thank you enough for your words to let us know when it is time.

4. Eileen Anderson says:

Dear Linda,
    I’m so sorry for your loss. I am glad you know in your heart that it was time. Much love to you and your other sweet doggies. I know Delilah would thank you if she could.