Book on Canine Cognitive Dysfunction

Help for owners of dogs with dementia now!

• Learn the symptoms
  • Learn the treatments
  • Learn how to help your dog–and yourself

Available in paperback, hardback, and all major electronic formats.

Book: Remember Me: Loving and Caring for a Dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction

What people are saying about Remember Me?

“Meticulously researched, accurate information presented with real empathy.” —Jean Donaldson, author of The Culture Clash, founder of the Academy for Dog Trainers

“Eileen approaches this complex disease with a combination of scientific rigor and deep empathy for the animals and people who suffer from it.”—E’Lise Christensen, board certified veterinary behaviorist

“I have been fortunate to have shared my life with a rather large number of beloved dogs. Having so far outlived all of them, I can only look back and wish I’d had the common sense and wisdom available in this book to help me through the hardest times—the times when it was left to me to figure out how best to help my friends as they started to fade away.” —Sue Ailsby, author of Training Levels: Steps to Success

“Two years ago, my Sheltie Skye exhibited unusual behaviours. At first, we thought it was hearing loss. He would go into a deeper sleep mode, and he wouldn’t respond when we called him. I tried hand signals, but things didn’t improve. He would get lost in the house. I’d often find him stranded at the bottom of the stairs. This book helped me to understand how to give Skye back quality of life—how to recognize his good days and how to help him manage the bad ones. One day I will have to make the difficult decision to let Skye go. But it won’t be out of frustration from not knowing how to deal with CCD.” —Pet owner Ruth Wojcik

Elderly rat terrier with dementia sleeping in woman's lap
Cricket lived with dementia for more than two years and still had a full life

1. Joyce Purcell says:

Thank you for your information about CCD. I”m not sure my 13 yr old lab/pit mix has it, but she’s been sleeping more than ever and whining and roaming the house at times. I will talk to my vet and tell him about your Cricket. It’s so hard to even contemplate I can hardly breathe.

2. Darla says:

Will the book be available in hard copy/paperback? I don’t have a Kindle.

3. Jean Gemmell says:

Toby, my little Jack Russell will be 21 years old this year I’m crying as I type this as he is so far ‘gone’ in his brain that there is nothing to be done to help him. He has nearly all the syptoms of this horrible condition BUT he’s still a very healthy little ‘furrybutt’ as my son Steven called him when we got him from the dog pound so many many years ago. I know it’s time to helps him pass but I just cannot do it. It’s SO difficult being with him now as there is no recognition, tail wagging ( we always said he worked by batteries as his tail wagged non-stop even when he was being reprimanded his tail was wagging on the floor) absolutely nothing. To be honest it’s really hard work every single day! He has really lived way beyond what he should have but how do I let go of a little dog who doesn’t want to let go of me…..it’s heartbreaking!

4. […] Book on Canine Cognitive Dysfunction […]

5. jean gemmell says:

My precious little Toby will be going ‘sleepies’ today (21st January) at 3pm. I feel as if I have betrayed my little furry friend who showed me nothing but loyalty. The tears don’t deem to be able to stop and it hasn’t even happened yet. Forgive me Toby I just couldn’t watch you not being ‘you’ any longer. I love you little ‘furrybutt’ Love granny x

• Eileen says:

I’m so sorry, Jean. But I don’t think you are betraying him. Every single thing you are doing, you are doing out of love. Take care.

• jean gemmell says:

Thank you Eileen for your kind words. It’s over now and I just need to find peace in my head and stop thinking all the time! The vet and nurse came to our home and my life changed forever. I love you Toby, always have always will.

• Annette brown says:

So sorry mam… I hate that animals have to go through this process of life and death… Sorry

6. […] blog if you know of anyone dealing with an elderly dog with Dementia issues this book is a must Click here for a help. Remember Me? Loving and Caring for a Dog with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction is a newly released […]

7. […] Buch, das mir sehr geholfen hat und immer wieder hilft, ist „Remember Me?“ von Eileen Anderson. Leider gibt es noch kein vernünftiges deutschsprachiges Buch über das kognitive […]

8. carol says:

We just helped our little Molly, Papillion, age 16-1/2 cross the rainbow bridge. It was so hard. She had all the classic signs listed here on this site. One of the saddest weekends of our lives. But her quality of life was so poor, and our very skilled, compassionate vet helped us realize we were doing the right thing. As my daughter reminded me – “this is a very small part of her life, remember the good times, the joy and love she brought.”

• Eileen says:

I’m so sorry for your loss, Carol. Your daughter had it right. And what a lucky little dog Molly was to be loved by you.

9. Amy Hudson says:

I cant believe I found you. Sassy is a 13-year-old rat terrier, and this explains EVERYTHING. My heart is broken, but we’re gonna go forward! I should have enriched her life more sooner. 🙁 But we will start now! Just ordered the book. How can I thank you, Eileen? Wish us luck! PS your feelings on Aricept for dogs? Could heartworm preventive medicine have triggered this in some dogs?….just wondering……. And last of all, did you do any antioxidant-fortifying of Cricket’s food as in the research article you linked to? Again, thank you so much :’-( This site is a treasure trove —-

• Eileen says:

I have never heard of the use of Aricept for dogs, although it is one of the most common drugs for humans with Alzheimer’s. I do wish you luck!

Heartworm medicine is an unlikely trigger. Some times are not safe for some dogs with genetic conditions, but I’ve never heard of a connection with dementia.

I did give Cricket high quality fish oil for a couple years but I did cut it back when she got to be more picky. I hope the book is helpful! Thanks for your kind words!

10. Lynn says:

My papillon, Buttercup, as a lot of these symptoms. We don’t know how old she is because she was a rescue 4.5 years ago. I’m going to get the book so I can get more information. Do you think these symptoms can be caused from a reaction to a rabies vaccine? Thanks, Lynn

• Eileen says:

Hi Lynn,
      I’m sorry your dog has these symptoms. (Papillons are wonderful dogs!) I have never heard of the symptoms resulting from any kind of vaccine, but here is a post that tells some of the other conditions that can cause some of the symptoms: Other Causes of Dementia and Dementia-Like Symptoms in Dogs.

But the most important thing is to get your dog seen by a vet. Depending on the cause of her symptoms, there may be treatments available. Best of luck!

11. […] that CCD may not shorten your dog’s life. But it can affect your dog’s quality of life. My book on CCD describes the steps you can take to enhance your dog’s life and possibly his […]

12. Christine says:

It is 5am and Zach my little buddy has been up since the early hours. He has been diagnosed with CC’D it is really sad and hard to deal with. He walks into corners and unable to get out of places he never ventured before. He does not always respond to his name. Zach always played with my son in law and he bit him quite aggressively the other week, this is when we knew something was wrong. He as only just started on his medication the vet said it can take up to two weeks before we would see any change if any. In just such a short period of time I have noticed a rapid decline in him and it is heart breaking from what was such a lively and lovely Cairn Terrier seems very lost. I feel for anyone who will have to make the decision we are going to have to make. The tears flow while I have been writing this but I know by reading the post it is helping a great deal. God Bless

• Eileen says:

Christine, I’m so sorry. That is so hard. I don’t usually plug my book in the comments but I do think it would be helpful for you. There are also a lot of comments here from people who have gone through similar difficulties as you. I hope the meds kick in and are helpful. Hugs to you and a special treat for little Zach.

13. […] the symptoms we had no didn’t realize what was happening.  Last year I came across a book by  Eileen Anderson,  Remember Me? In the book, she referenced a Facebook group called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Support Group that […]

14. Jolynn Ignatovich AKA Doggirl says:

Dear Eileen, I can not thank you enough fro your post on euthanizing little Cricket. It was hard to read and very difficult to write I am sure. You helped me immensely. My JRT mix Rio,had CCD. He was declining rapidly. He was either eating, asleep, or if awake very anxious, the circles never stopped. I set up a “round pen” for him to safely walk. I tried CBD oil. that helped some for the anxiety. I sat up once again in the middle of the night. He was outside circling. I found your article and as I read the tears streamed, for Rio, for Cricket, for the release you gave me, the peace in knowing what was right. I said good bye to my beloved little guy of 16 years the next day, Dec 31 2017. Thank you Eileen you truly are a God send to me!

Dear Jolynn,

I am so sorry for your loss. Rio was a very lucky guy to have you watching out for him. It is so very kind of you to write while the pain must be so raw. I am so glad that my article helped. That’s the reason I started this site and wrote my book to begin with. Again–thank you for writing. Hugs to you. –Eileen

PS I took the liberty of editing the small issue you wrote a second message about. No problem about the name!